Re: [AD] enum moved to internal header

On Wed, May 5, 2010 8:45 pm, Peter Wang said:
> [trent sent the reply to me only]

Apologies.

> Yeah, ok, OpenAL is decent example.  What do you think of the
> al_get_system_config() approach?  It's not really consistent with
> the graphics subsystem but it's already there.

It's not pretty but I it gets the job done. But the argument that
a user might use a platform specific driver in a call to al_install_audio
doesn't sound like a problem to me, because if it's a binary
distribution, then it's either going to be the right choice or it's
not going to work even on the platform intended (and so how well
made could the game be if the developer makes such a decision?),
or you're going to have source code so you can simply change a
line in the source and if they didn't use an specific API calls it's
going to work anyway (and if they did, then they either had a good
reason to hard code the driver or we're back at the incompetent
developer scenario). I personally like having all the choices left up
to me, so that I can do what I think is right on each platform, which
could mean one platform gets extra features (I'm thinking of OpenGL
ES 2.0 vs 1.1 on iPhone where I will use shaders for some extra
fancy effects) but other platforms don't lose anything.

Trent :{)>