Re: [AD] SF.net SVN: alleg:[13184] allegro/branches/4.9

On April 3, 2010, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On April 3, 2010, Peter Wang wrote:

> > > Yeah, I haven't figured out how to fully force an ALWAYS ON TOP flag.
> > > I tried with the set_above method, but it doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > Any reason to use _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE instead of
> > _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN?  Not that the latter worked on this machine
> > either.
>
> FULLSCREEN does a lot of the work for you, including resizing and
> positioning. the wm handles it all.
>
> I suppose we could switch to using that, and skip all of the positioning
> nonsense.
>
> > > have to look into the alt tabbing though.. technically it grabbed the
> > > mouse, so it really shouldn't have alt-tab'ed away, no place for the
> > > mouse to go.
> > >
> > > Could try just skipping the GrabMouse and see what that does. Theres
> > > no virtual res scrolling with these mode sets afaik, so grabbing the
> > > mouse may not be needed, unless you want to make sure the mouse
> > > can't move to a another monitor just by moving it.
> >
> > Indeed, XGrabPointer seems to be unnecessary with randr (unlike xf86vm)
> > and I don't think we should prevent the user alt-tabbing away if that's
> > what they want to do.
>
> Yeah, I've commented it out in my latest commit.

I love replying to my own emails....

Another slight bug, on my media box, running the radeon driver (though Im
not sure how the driver relates to the problem) using flwm, the windows are
created at entirely wrong positions. It might be a flwm bug I don't have any
proof of that.

I just tried icewm on the same system to compare, it doesn't position the
window oddly, but it doesn't place the window above the icewm panel. I can
only assume icewm doesn't respect the ICCCM flags we're using.

In fact wikipedia's list of WMs that support the Extended Window Manager
Hints, neither icewm nor flwm are included.

Do we support old and seemingly unsupported window managers? I can try and
find methods to work around that, but I'm not sure we should include code to
work around every WM out there.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx