Re: [AD] 5.1?

On April 28, 2010, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2010, at 10:51 , Pavel Sountsov wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you mean here. What is cleanly separated? In terms of
> > sticking the bitmap drawing into the primitives addon... well, it's
> > possibly in principle, subject to the performance penalties above. Also
> > there's the issue (not sure how important it is) that you wouldn't be
> > able to do "anything" with Allegro core without at least one addon, a
> > concern for some people.
>
> I don't like it for that reason. I also don't agree that al_draw_bitmap()
> is a primitive in the same way that al_draw_line() is.

Indeed. I'd just like to say that a game can be made without any lines at
all, but you'd be HARD* pressed to create one without sprites/bitmaps.

* Yes, I realize you could do a SPEED type game, but then you're only using
lines and outlined primitives, so its a totally different ballgame there.

> > Just thinking *really* outside the box here... it might be neat to have
> > a pluginable graphics system too... just like we have for bitmap
>
> Not sure how something like that would work. However, I *strongly*
> suggest that we don't overhaul the graphics system at this stage,
> considering that we're supposed to be putting out betas and release
> candidates shortly.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it be done /now/. But imagine if you
could open one D3D display, and one OGL display :o

Not sure how useful that would be, but it might be interesting.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx