Re: [AD] iphone 4.0

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On April 8, 2010, Matthew Leverton wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Peter Hull <peterhull90@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Just wondering, does Allegro 5 count as a 'compatibility layer'?
>> >
>> >  http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/iphone_agreement_bans_flash_compiler
>>
>> Even the previous wording: "3.3.1 — Applications ... must not use or
>> call any private APIs" makes Allegro illegal.
>
> I'm pretty sure that meant private iPhone apis.

That's quite likely, but it ultimately really doesn't matter. I've
known people who have had apps rejected already per the old 3.3.1,
without ever being told exactly what was meant. You're always going to
be at the mercy of Apple on whether or not you are worthy enough to
publish something on the store.

It will be interesting to see Apple's official response to this. My
guess is they will remain as secretive as ever, hoping to simply scare
people away from using any of the big cross platform tools and
building only for the iPhone. Obviously they will claim this is all
about "user experience," but if that were true they would simply
prohibit junk from being posted to the store regardless if it were
written only in Objective C only for the iPhone.

But I cannot fathom them categorically preventing people from using a
third party library written directly in C/C++. It's such a fuzzy line
to draw.

--
Matthew Leverton