Re: [AD] Feature-freeze?

On 2010-03-25, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If the current version scheme is kept as is, there probably won't be an
> Allegro 6 for 10 years. At least I can't fathom a reason the api would just
> be changed wholesale again for quite a while. So at this point, I don't see
> anything wrong with consolidating the version numbers a little.

I fully expect the Allegro project to die before there is an Allegro 6.
If there is an Allegro 6 it will be created by a new generation,
or at least I hope it would.

As for Allegro 5, what will probably happen is that we'll have 5.0.0, a
few 5.0.x updates, the first within a month then increasingly infrequent.
Within half a year to five years we'll have 5.2.0, perhaps to improve
support for touch or tablet or mind control devices or whatever, and
then we'll have a couple of updates for that.  Then basically we'll only
get minor changes and they'll sit and fester in SVN for months then
years at a time but basically the job is done and the bugs don't affect
us so no releases will be forthcoming.

Something like that.

Peter