[AD] [ alleg-Bugs-2931024 ] stop using deprecated interfaces in OSX port

Bugs item #2931024, was opened at 2010-01-13 00:43
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by eglebbk
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=105665&aid=2931024&group_id=5665

not just the latest update.
Category: Mac OSX
Group: 4.9

Initial Comment:
Evert publically stated we would fix it before 5.0 so I guess we should :)

Date: 2010-01-25 17:40

Message:
That depends on what version of OS X you're targeting and what version of
the SDK you're linking against.
If you're linking against the 10.6 SDK, then the binary will only work on
10.6 (and up). However, if you're targeting 10.4, then you'll be able to
run on 10.4 and up. This is in theory, since I've never actually tested
this (and since my 10.4 is a PPC machine, I'm not likely to put this to the
test either).
Arguably the default target should then be 10.4, but it's still nice to
compile natively for 10.6 and up. It should be easy for users to select
what version of OS X to target (which it is, you can select this from a
drop-down box in XCode) and any binary release we end up doing for OS X
should probably target 10.4.

For 64 bit code this is a separate issue altogether and we probably need
to target 10.6 (although 10.5 can also run 64 bit binaries). It may be
possible to set that, just as it is (or used to be) possible to target 10.2
for PPC and 10.4 for 32-bit Intel in a fat binary.

Comment By: Peter Hull (peterhull90)
Date: 2010-01-25 17:18

Message:
OK that's compile-time compatibility but would Allegro compiled on a 10.6
system work on 10.4 at run time?

Comment By: Evert Glebbeek (eglebbk)
Date: 2010-01-25 14:11

Message:
It should be 10.4, at the very least it worked there up until a couple of
months ago, which is the last time I checked. Obviously, I'll have to do so
again before 5.0 goes life.
Only supporting 10.4 and up is probably not such a bad deal, since 99% of
all Macs will be on 10.4+ anyway.

Note that I've included some code that gets compiled conditionally
depending on the OS X version number that is being targeted. This isn't
actually all that hard (check against MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED) but
the documentation about this is a bit opaque.

Comment By: Peter Hull (peterhull90)
Date: 2010-01-25 10:40

Message:
That seems like a sensible decision. As Evert says, the documentation is
very poor/non existent, but I believe that the replacement functions are
only supported on the latest OSX versions and would cause problems for
older versions. I don't actually know what is the earliest version that
Allegro will compile for but I would say it needs to be 10.4 at least.

Comment By: Evert Glebbeek (eglebbk)
Date: 2010-01-25 03:45

Message:
I've fixed a good deal of them. Right now there are still warnings about
CGDisplayBestModeForParametersAndRefreshRate, CGDisplaySwitchToMode,
CGDisplayCurrentMode and CGDisplayBestModeForParameters in osxgl.m.
Unfortunately Apple hasn't bothered to document the replacement functions
yet (the prototypes are visible in the header files though).
I suggest we leave them until Apple documents their new functions.
I also suggest that we don't delay 5.0 because of Apple slacking off. :P