Re: [AD] SF.net SVN: alleg:[12523] allegro/branches/4.9

On 2009-08-27, Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 09:16 +1000, Peter Wang wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't like abbreviations of any kind - but since it takes an
> > > ALLEGRO_FILE_HANDLE parameter, I'd agree, _fh makes a lot more sense
> > > than _fp.
> >
> > It's actually ALLEGRO_FILE.  Still want to change it?
>
> to _file maybe?

I avoided that because al_load_<format>_file doesn't distinguish it much
from al_load_<format>.  _fh is fine to me.

[Really ALLEGRO_FILE should be ALLEGRO_STREAM, and ALLEGRO_STREAM should
be ALLEGRO_AUDIOSTREAM... but I'm NOT suggesting that because it affects
a lot of function names badly.]

> I also think we should rename these two at the same time:
>
> al_stream_from_file -> al_stream_sample
> al_load_config_file -> al_load_ini

"Sample" suggests a short sound snippet to me.
al_stream_audio/al_stream_audio_file?

> Also, why is there no al_stream_from_file_fp currently? Is it not
> needed?

No reason, I think.

BTW, al_mkdir, etc. will also be renamed.
I'm hoping 4.9.14 will be the last release with mass renamings.

Peter