Re: [AD] Behavior of OpenGL on Mac OS X

On 1 mrt 2009, at 09:43, Elias Pschernig wrote:
I'd say, just set it to whatever the user requested. I.e. if they do:

al_set_new_display_format(ALLEGRO_PIXEL_FORMAT_XBGR_8888)

Then if they later lock the screen bitmap, a buffer will that format
will be returned then. In OpenGL it really is not relevant which
internal format is really used, in fact I'm not sure we can know that
even with GLX or WGL.

Ok. This is what I've done now.

I have no idea about AGL vs NSOpenGL - but in all OpenGL drivers, my
opinion is that we should *not* care about the color sizes and
positions. The only thing I can see making sense for a user to select is
16 vs 32 bit, as one might give better performance than the other on
some (old?) drivers.

Ok. That's what I was thinking as well.

Since we now have the display_settings.c file, I think it would make
most sense if everything uses it

I'll check how easy (or difficult) it would be to do that on OS X.

- however I think we have to change the
way the r/g/b/a component size and shift selection works.

They're not supported by the Cocoa API anyway, so from an OS X point of view you can go ahead and change it anyway you like without affecting the OS X port in any way. ;)

Evert