Re: [AD] SF.net SVN: alleg:[11766] allegro/branches/4.9/src/macosx

On Sat March 7 2009, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 10:28 -0700, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > Thats the route I'm taking. a plain zip addons would be doable using
> > zlib, but how would a plain zlib driver work?
>
> Well, zip and zlib are different things, you would use libzip to read
> zip files. A zlib addon would probably be more like the memfile addon,
> so you could do things like write to a compressed memory buffer. Not
> sure how useful that would be over simply calling the compress()
> function from zlib.

zip uses the same deflate/compress algo zlib provides, after that its just a matter of reading the zip headers. zlib even comes with a simple zip example. So no extra libs other than zlib are required.

But I do intend to get the PhysicsFS addons done at some point. Of course anyone is free to beat me to it.

> > what format would archives be in? (no, tar archives are not a
> > solution, they are a pain in the butt, you have to decompress the tar
> > archive just to access the tar headers).
>
> True. tar.gz is a lot like A4's dat in that respect, .zip is much
> superior for use in games.

Depends on which type of compressed dat format ;) dats supported individual item compression which is how zips work.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx