Re: [AD] al_verb_noun

On 2-Feb-09, at 7:09 AM, Elias Pschernig wrote:
When designing an API, especially little self-contained ones, I just end
up naming functions with "module qualifiers", as you can see in the
internal vector functions, the internal thread functions, the path
functions and now the string functions. It's *not* al_<object>_<verb> though. It just happens that the module qualifier is usually a noun :)

I think we should also remove the prefix from the path, config and
fshook functions, if we can come up with good alternatives.

From an API consistency point-of-view, I think this makes sense. Unless we consider all of these "addons" in some form or other. Either way, someone (or somefew) should check the list of functions before we hit 5.0 (but after the next release) and check them for clarity and API consistency. Speaking of the next release, the OS X things I wanted to clean up ahve been cleaned up.

That paper
Grzegorz wrote long ago about why we should use al_verb_noun is still
convincing me :)

"It reads as English" is the most convincing argument I know of, and to me personally the only one that really matters. ;)
Either way, consistency is the important concern here.

Evert