Re: [AD] Allegro 5 TODOs (from wiki)

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Evert Glebbeek <eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. Replace the Carbon-based code in osx_get_num_video_adapters() and
> osx_get_monitor_info() with Cocoa-based functions. I don't know if this is
> actually useful, but it fits in nicer with the rest of the code and prevents
> any incompatibilities that may arise due to mixing them.
I think Apple have failed to make this very clear, but while Carbon is
their name for all the C api for OS X, there's 'good' Carbon (i.e the
CoreXXX libraries) and 'bad' Carbon (the compatibility stuff from OS
9). I believe it's only the latter that isn't making it to 64 bit - it
would be very odd if, for example, CoreGraphics wasn't available on 64
bit.
Anyway I used the CGXXX functions because I had a gut feeling that we
would need more functions than are available in NSScreen, probably
that's not right.
The other thing I thought about and ran away from is that screens are
supposed to be 'plug and play', so what happens if someone connects or
disconnects a monitor at the wrong time? I know that the
CGDirectDisplayID is supposed to be a unique(ish) ID that stays with a
certain monitor even if it's not connected, rather than an index.

I'll check the patch as soon as I can, it looks OK though.

Pete