Re: [AD] Allegro 5 TODOs (from wiki)

On November 27, 2008, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> I went through the TODO list on the wiki and removed a couple of
> items that were done (OS X specific items) and added a couple that
> seemed to be missing. A few questions:
>
> General:
> #  Virtual Filesystem: (Tomasu is working on it)
>   * List/Find/Open files and directories on the file system (done?)
>   * Something like the old PACKFILE, so any Allegro function which
> reads from a file might as well read from a memory buffer or zip file
> or network... (done?)

Mostly done, any backend driver can implement the file operations in any way
they want. No built in networking support, and the al_find() isn't implemented
yet. But the main api is complete.

> The (done?) remarks are mine. I had the impression this is now done.
> Can someone confirm? Yes, I could check the source and see for myself
> if I have to.
>
> # API to find common locations, like the location where to store per-
> user savegames (same directory as .exe often doesn't cut it, e.g.
> under UNIX) (done?)

Yup. al_get_path(). We need to add another enum though, something to do with
USER/SYSTEM settings.. I think.

[snip]

> X11:
> *  Multi-Monitor support (Tomasu is working on it)
>
> How's it coming?

Badly. I have three devices that support multi monitor, one is my desktop it
runs on the nvidia binary drivers, doesn't support xrandr 1.2. My server's
second port only supports DVI-D/HDMI monitors and I have neither, and my
laptop, and I had issues with that working properly.

I'll try and get something hacked up soon (not before the next wip), I have a
lot of test code, but nothing that can go into allegro AS IS.

If we totally want to skip xrandr support, some basic Xinerama code would be
dead simple to add. But proper xrandr 1.2 support allows for some nice things,
and everyone who isn't NVIDIA supports it currently. So I'm not sure what we
want to do.

Some other little tidbits, theres three different APIs to get the number of
attached/configured screens from X, basic xlib XScreen stuff, Xinerama, and
XRandR. I'm not sure if we need to bother with the basic xlib calls though,
I'm not sure how thats handled to be honest, it might allow allegro to support
the case where you have two monitors but neither xinerama or xrandr setup,
meaning you can't drag windows back and forth, only input focus can transfer.

> Windows:
> No TODO list; does this mean there are no Windows specific TODOs?
> Really?

No one cares? or Trent is just that good ;)

> Evert

I also need to get the "fishhooks" api docs done... Yeah, long todo list.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx