Re: [AD] PSP Patch for Allegro 4.2.2

On Sunday 19 October 2008, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2008-10-19, Diego <deldie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > the port is not complete yet and is based on Allegro 4.2.2.
> >
> > Is an ALPHA VERSION: only tested with 16 pp color depth, no video
> > bitmaps, no joystick, no timers, etc. But it's more or less usable.
>
> I had a quick glance at this.  Most of the code looks pretty good for a
> first time contributor.  There were some non-English comments which need
> to be translated.
>
> I'm not sure how to go ahead with this.  There have been some
> console/handheld ports floating around but unfortunately we've never had
> anyone propose to integrate it into Allegro and then actually follow
> through.  Your port sounds quite incomplete at this stage.  We could
> commit your changes so far and then you can feed us further patches
> later.  Or we could create a branch for you to work in.  Or you could
> keep your changes locally (say, in git) and just send us one big patch
> when it's more complete.  The first option is probably preferred, but
> sometimes we forget about patches so you'll need to prod us every now
> and then.  The better your patches are, the quicker they get committed.
>
> What do others think?

I don't see any harm in either solution really... though a branch might be
better to begin with. It might sit languishing like the ds port :( (and all it
really needs now is a video memory allocator...)

speaking of such, theres several people on this list that are definitely
smarter than I am. Basically it needs to allocate 2d chunks out of the linear
video memory, I don't even know of an optimal strategy to do so properly. I
recall hearing  awhile back that allegro dos used to do the same sort of
thing? or was it handled by vesa or something?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx