Re: [AD] loadable modules

On Tuesday 07 October 2008, Milan Mimica wrote:
> Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > Loadable modulesin A4 were rather simple. Our alsa module is just
> > another .so file which is linked against alsa. Allegro then on startup
> > tries to load it. That's it. What was complicated was the way to locate
> > our module .so files, and all the build options to support building
> > without modules.
>
> Why having modules at all? We use dozen of ALSA functions, and that's the
> worst case. That could easily fit in a list of functions to load, like we
> do with OpenGL extensions, but in a cleaner way.

I don't think its worth bothering with. Distro's will end up having packages,
and the package manager will handle dependencies on install. If you're
releasing a package outside of the distro's repos, you're probably doing
something wrong.

Though it could complicate the detection script for apps using allegro 5..
Some distros might not enable some parts, while others will enable them and
disable others, so some games might use a feature that a distro has turned
off? That'd be harsh. Though whats harsher is asking end users to compile
allegro :(

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx