Re: [AD] make cmake guess the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX

On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2008-09-23, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > It should be doing that already.
> > >
> > >     # ... detect MINGDIR here
> > >
> > >     # Install to MINGDIR
> > >     if(INSTALL_PREFIX STREQUAL "")
> > >         set(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX ${MINGDIR})
> > >     else(INSTALL_PREFIX STREQUAL "")
> > >         set(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX ${INSTALL_PREFIX})
> > >     endif(INSTALL_PREFIX STREQUAL "")
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > Yeah, saw that, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working. Which
> > is odd since it sets INSTALL_PREFIX to "" closer to the top of the file.
> > maybe cmake-gui sets some things it shouldn't?
>
> Tip for debugging: cut out the relevant sections of code into a test
> file, then run cmake -P testfile.  Use MESSAGE("${VAR}") to print.
>
> > And I think we should be setting a bunch of the non windows WANT_ options
> > to "off" or "no" or whatever if its building on win32.
>
> Ideally, I'd like us to move away from assuming that some libraries are
> only available on certain platforms.  There's no particular reason you
> shouldn't be able to build the X11 port on Windows (more likely, OS X),
> and the Direct3D driver on Unix (with Wine).  Of course, it would be a
> lot of work and we'll probably never get there.
>
> Configuration is much slower on Windows than on Linux so avoiding
> unnecessary checks could be worthwhile.  But WANT_X11, WANT_ALSA and
> WANT_OSS are the only options that I see that don't apply to Windows.
> We *could* avoid a few of the check_include_files, check_function_exists
> calls, but that seems to go against the whole point of checking for
> things at configuration time.

I should also mention I only meant to suggest setting the WANT_ variables by
default to no on platforms that aren't likely going to want a certain feature.
All a user has to do is click the nice check box in cmake-gui to re-enable the
check if they really want it, and in the mean time it speeds up the initial
scan, and any following checks.