Re: [AD] Question about versions

On 2008-08-25, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sunday 24 August 2008, Colin Ward wrote:
> >
> > Please Thomas, I'm not a noob and I have been involved in many open source
> > projects over the years.  I understand what you mean and of course I
> > understand the importance of incremental commits and being involved in the
> > development of the project as a whole (that's why I'm on this list).  But
> > in this case the code that will be committed will live in src/amiga and is
> > completely independent of the rest of Allegro.  In other words, it will not
> > break or modify generic Allegro code in any way and the only people who are
> > affected by its addition to Subversion are Amiga users (all three of 'em!).
> >
> > So if I do finish the port locally and then commit a completely working and
> > tested version to src/amiga then I don't see why that would be a problem.
> > After all, for a new port you are going to have to accept a "large dump" no
> > matter what stage of porting that code is up to because it is a whole new
> > platform.
>
> The major problem is the code dump, and the extra work it entails for those of
> us that like to audit commits, as well as make sure allegro in its entirety is
> maintained for the foreseeable future.
>
> Allegro has had a history of large sections of it languishing for YEARS, some
> of it due to people dumping large changes into allegro, and disappearing.
>
> Can you guarantee you'll stick around and support it? And does it really
> warrant being a full fledged supported platform in allegro? As of late, we've
> been removing fluff, and consolidating the core allegro into a more maintainable
> state, and if recent commit rates have anything to say, it has helped.
>
> I've been saying this for a while, and heck, I may be completely overruled,

Overruled.

Thomas, you picked the wrong target.  Firstly, Allegro is not a big name
project which lots of people depend on; we can be more relaxed.
Secondly, as Colin has said, his code will be isolated in src/amiga.  If
he were to disrupt the cross-platform code or even another port, *then*
that would be a problem.  But it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Colin, your port would be a welcome addition.

Peter