Re: [AD] Export AL_VECTOR

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Trent Gamblin <trent@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, June 18, 2008 5:15 pm, Thomas Fjellstrom said:
>> I would like to see AL_VECTOR be a public Allegro 5 api.
>
> I personally think that would be great. Any program I make uses
> vectors and if I'm sticking to C then I wouldn't have to write my
> own. Also I think in the case of the fshooks api it would make
> things nicer.

I don't really care about AL_VECTOR because i code in c++. I would see
no harm in releasing it publicly because it is a very stable
interface. Normally internals functions are reserved for things that
are hacks or liable to change between versions.

On a side note, i wouldn't mind seeing a bit of c++ used internally if
it means less lines of boring common code to write and maintain. Using
std::vector wouldn't cost us anything.

> Off-topic but I'd also like to see the threading stuff made public.
> I think we briefly discussed this on a HackDay but no decision was
> made. There were people on both sides of the fence on this as I'm
> sure there will be with the vector api.

I think it is very important to get the threading stuff public. Most
users don't give a crap, but it would certainly make lives easier for
those few that want to do something cool and special. I'm mostly
thinking about people extending the functionality of allegro through
addons or wrappers or other external libraries. On a side note, SDL
has one. ;)