Re: [AD] Website

On 2008-01-28, allefant <allefant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2008 1:58 AM, Peter Wang <novalazy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Does that mean typing into a web browser field? No thanks.
> >

> Yes. All blogs/forums/wikis I've seen work that way, and I'm typing
> this text in FireFox right now, so I don't see it as a problem.

*shrug*  I still hate to type into a web browser.  Judging by the quality of
most blog/forum posts, I'd have to say I'm onto something...

> But
> mainly, it saves a tremendous amount of time. Just posting the news to
> the main site in addition to allegro.cc would have been a matter of a
> single copy&paste, so like 1 second.

Well, a traditional a.cc or mailing list announcement would be too detailed
for the front page.  If we make the announcements the same as the front page
then the only work left is (1) editing the SVN log down to a changelog, (2)
editing the changelog down to an announcement.  Then dealing with different
markups.

> Editing the custom html templates, then editing translation files for
> it, as you just did, just seems so wasteful. Testing the result (since
> it is a quite error prone process, you really have to) means running
> make which takes another few minutes.

make should take a few seconds at most, but yes, overall it's quite fiddly
and I can't say I understand it completely.

> And after all that, you have to
> log in to SF to somehow actually make it appear.. so probably work of
> about 10 minutes just to do all the unnecessary technical stuff to get
> a single news item posted.

I think there is a cron job which will regenerate the site.

> But then, the whole website is like that, so just fixing it for news
> posting indead would not have bought us much. E.g. the download
> section could need some updating as well.. anyway, just saying, our
> current system is worse than plain HTML, so updating to something
> easier manageable might be nice at some point.

Agreed.  But I appreciate that there are reasons behind the current system.

Peter