Re: [AD] Allegro fails to initialize sound under Pulseaudio

On 10/4/07, Steven Brown <steven.w.j.brown@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> FYI: Pulseaudio, formerly Polypaudio, is a sound server meant as an
> replacement for ESD.  It's gaining a lot of ground in the linux desktop
> space.
>
>     http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/AboutPulseAudio
>
> Anyways, I was testing a game that uses Allegro the other day, and
> discovered that it fails to initialize sound.  Allegro detects and tries
> to initialize using ALSA, which is fine, as Pulseaudio has an ALSA
> plugin.  But it fails, which is less fine.  :P
>
> I've filed a bug with the Pulseaudio people here:
>
>     http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/133
>
> (It includes a simple sound initialization application and output from
> my computer.)
>
> After talking with someone from #pulseaudio, he said that it may have
> something to do with Allegro requesting ALSA in MMAP mode, which the
> ALSA plugin for Pulseaudio does not support.  Also, forcing Allegro to
> initialize with ESD works with Pulseaudio, but it is *much* too laggy
> and certainly unusable in any game.
>
> I just thought I should let you know, if anyone here has an idea to the
> problem.  :)

The source code for our alsa driver is here:
https://alleg.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/alleg/allegro/branches/4.3.10plus/src/unix/alsa9.c

I can't see anything which requires MMAP mode, but I wouldn't know for
sure. There's one single call to snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format. Maybe
you could figure out which parameters make it fail? It's possible we
ask for something too strict or something like that..