Re: [AD] Skater + AllegroGL

Elias Pschernig wrote:

Nice! This would be great to include as example game in 4.4.0 - with the
option to build either for Allegro or AllegroGL (which should be
included in it). Not sure how it would work in detail.

If SKATER_USE_ALLEGRO_GL is not #defined, AllegroGL is not used, that's all. There should be a more elegant way to do it without editing SConstruct file.

Differences to non-AGL Skater that I can notice:
- higher FPS and less CPU time used :)
- the "transition" animation looks a bit broken

Which animation is that, and why does it break?

This is the whole screen animation, when the screen is scrolled from top to bottom, e.g when you pres the Esc key during the game. It lasts for 0.3 seconds and it looks OK. But I slowed it down and saw some artifacts. During that animation the rendering is done to the video bitmaps... not sure what's causing it.

Would it be hard to use an alpha bitmap in that case? I.e. just have two
textures on disk, use the pink one for the Allegro version, and the
alpha one for AllegroGL.

Yes, that is an option too. But I think it would be less confusing for the average allegro user with only one texture and the less AGL related #ifdefs possible. After all, the demo game is here mostly for educational purposes and we have to keep the code clean. It was very clean before I started editing it. But I don't think it too messy now either.

Indeed. In one of the meetings, we said we want to "merge" AllegroGL
into 4.3.10. Where merge could mean nothing more than just copying it in
there, but still keep it as separate library.

I'm fine with not merging the code. The nice thing about AGL is that it merges itself automagically at runtime.

Any reason the patch shouldn't be applied to SVN?

No. You?

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net