Re: [AD] Function parameter ordering conventions

On 6/21/07, Evert Glebbeek <eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just curious, was a state-based API actually agreed upon?

Not if you ask me, no.

We agreed on it in one of the IRC meetings, but anything can be
changed up until the 5.0.0 release of course. (Indeed, it might be
good to do some specific API consistency checking before the release -
whenever that will be - and go over all functions.)

Anyway, the current rationale is this I guess (written by me before
that IRC meeting..):
http://wiki.allegro.cc/NewAPI/Display#AL_DISPLAY_and_drawing_primitives

Before that, there was some discussions on this mailing list in the
past 2 or 3 years as well, which usually ended inconclusive but
slightly in favor of no explicit AL_BITMAP (or AL_DISPLAY - Bob's API
left that open) targets.

What really changes things right now is Trent's complete
implementation of a D3D display/graphics driver for 4.9.. so we can
now actually write code in the new API and see how it feels :)

Some parts of the driver are initially based on my X11-OpenGL
experiments, so It won't be hard to merge the X11-OpenGL driver back
to it - just filling in vtables now instead of hacking in the wide
open unknown :) The result will be a branch with a fully working
implementation for Windows as well as Linux. I hope to do it on the
weekend, should be done before the next IRC meeting in two weeks in
any case.