Re: [AD] AllegroGL integration

On 2007-05-25, Milan Mimica <milan.mimica@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On the last meting it was agreed that AGL should be integrated into
> allegro 4.4 branch, with 4.3 branch for WIPs.
>
> Now, how should that be done? As I understood, no actual integration is
> going to occur. AllegroGL will reside separately in a subdirectory
> called allegrogl or plugins/allegrogl.

The plan was addons/allegrogl.

> Should the build systems be integrated?

For me, yes.

> The build systems are very similar and probably could be integrated with
> no pain. There should be a WITH_ALLEGRO_GL option for makefiles and
> --with-allegro-gl for configure script. Or maybe AGL should be built by
> default... doesn't matter.

I would like it to be built by default, when OpenGL is available.  We
can do that easily for autoconf systems.  For plain makefiles either you
pass WITH_ALLEGRO_GL=1 or you run `make agl'.

> On the other hand, I don't find it very hard for the user to cd to
> allegrogl dir and run the same commands he did for building allegro.
> There are even MSVC project files for those are lazy. This would save
> someone (not me) from editing makefiles and autotool stuff. We would
> just need to copy AGL into allegro and put some notes in the build docs.

I hope we can do better than that.

The other aspect is integrating the documentation.  The AllegroGL stuff
could become a section in the Allegro manual, or it could reside in a
separate document.  I just want to be able to call up man pages for
AllegroGL functions, etc.

> Will AllegroGL die as a standalone project? I guess it will.

I think so, but it'd be around until 4.4.0 is released, at least.

Peter