Re: [AD] fbcon driver color depth

On Saturday 06 January 2007 00:23, Milan Mimica wrote:
> > As an aside, does desktop_color_depth() return meaningful information
for
> > the fbcon driver? It probably could and should if it doesn't.
>
> It doesn't. It is a system driver entry, I'm not sure how would that be
> implemented.

It shouldn't be impossible to add in principle (and I personally think it
should be added), but it'll be a bit tricky because the Linux system
driver os not specific for the fbcon graphics driver, but also has to deal
with the other drivers and we don't know what driver the user will want to
use.

What about the following:
Assuming the fbcon driver is defined, add a function to the vtable that
returns the colour depth of the frame buffer (if present), but which fails
(returns 0) when fbdev cannot be used on the current machine.
This can affect programs that attempt to use other console drivers, but I'm
not sure how big of a problem that is in practice. I do think it's the
only way...

Comments?

Evert