[AD] Porting Allegro to a new system

I'm helping with the effort of porting Allegro to the Nintendo DS. The main problem at the moment is the lack of a 'dummy' system driver collection. The platform drivers are so platform specific and jumbled up that I can't find a basic general layout of a system driver. Are there any docs that explain pretty well how the whole driver system for Allegro works, or some secret dummy driver that shows how to basically do stuff (like init the graphics mode and make the BITMAP to return) or do you have to spend hours trying to figure out what's done from the platform specific drivers? I just want a basic outline of what you should do, and what is expected for return values, etc, without concerning myself with the internal workings of other systems.