Re: [AD] [4.2] allegro and mkstemp

On Saturday 16 December 2006 11:12 am, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On Friday 15 December 2006 6:39 pm, Peter Wang wrote:
> > >
> > > Would it also be allright to add the enum that goes along with it?
> > > AL_TEMP_DIR, AL_USER_DATA, etc. and an external api al_get_path as well
> > > as al_mkstemp?
> >
> > A temp dir is relatively easy to implement portably, but user-data,
> > home directory, etc. are quite different depending on the platform.
> > And whatever we add now we have an obligation (sort of) to support in
> > 4.3, so I'd rather not, at least, without a lot more thought.
>
> I've already put the thought into it. And its been done for a while.

Windows has an API for getting the proper paths to usefull directories, I'll
bet OSX does as well, and Unix has some as well as being able to guess /home
if you need to.

The unix USER_DATA_PATH option does need a little bit of final work, adding
a "program_name" config var, or something similar (Qt lets you set
the "Program name" and "Company name", which is used in a few places, namely
the config storage location "~/.config/Company/Program".

I'll look up the LSB to see where this stuff should go (config and user data).