Re: [AD] refactoring Allegro

Jon Rafkind wrote:

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
On 2006-08-21, Jon Rafkind <workmin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don't let other peoples opinion bring you down. If you have svn
access, start hacking away in another branch. Work on that branch
would not hurt anyway, and if nothing comes out of it the branch
can be removed.

Ok, does anyone else have a problem with this? If not Ill make a branch,
probably something like branches/4.2-refactor

I would suggest waiting until 4.2.1 has been released. That way, if we get the refactoring out the way before any changes are made to the actual code post 4.2.1, it will be easier to keep track of the changes. Also, it would be easier to merge the refactored branch back into the main 4.2 branch (and possibly even the 4.3 branch for all files yet to be forked off from 4.2) if the 4.2-refactor branch split from the 4.2-main branch at a release.

Anyway, perhaps we should discuss some sort of standard for variable-names, comments, whether or not we're using some form of self-documenting sourcecode-comments like Doxygen.

In order to keep the discussion in one place, I suggest using the thread on Allegro.cc ( http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/587133 )

Generally, I think the refactoring is a good idea. As I said in Allegro.cc, having a well-commented source would encourage more people to fiddle around with it. In fact, if anyone wants to become an Allegro developper, but is overwhelmed by the source, then taking part in the refactoring is a good way to bring them up to speed. In fact, it would be an opportunity to root out any hidden bugs or find ways of optimising the code.

I would be willing to take part in the refactoring.

AE.