Re: [AD] multiple windows

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 13:06 +0100, Peter Hull wrote:
> Another point is that, bitmaps may need to hold a set of different
> representations for each display. For example, if they try to
> accelerate blitting by matching colour depth/format or by generating a
> texture. This could get very messy.

True. For example, each window could have its own OpenGL context, so
there might be restrictions on how you can mix textures between them.

In case we want Allegro to transparently handle this, each AL_BITMAP
would possibly need a cached version of the bitmap for each AL_DISPLAY
it is going to be used in. So I would say, this indeed will be too
messy.

We simply could disallow blitting of bitmaps between incompatible
AL_DISPLAYs. Users who need multiple displays can always transfer
bitmaps using memory bitmaps and do their own caching for performance,
or else just use compatible displays when possible.

--
Elias Pschernig