Re: [AD] Getting back up to speed and the role of the Dictator

sounds like a good idea.
very good idea.

Evert Glebbeek wrote:
Hi all,

Ive moved house a few weeks ago and I'm pretty much settled in nicely now. That means I'll hopefully be getting back to doing some Allegro-related things soon.

However, I would like to make a proposal regarding the role of the Dictator. Roman Dictators were typically appointed for a specific task: defeat some enemy or conquer some country. Likewise, I would like to propose appointing a Dictator for a specific task. In particular, I would like to appoint a Dictator to set the timeframe and manage the logistics of a 4.3.0 release. I'll handle 4.2.1.

The 4.3 Dictator would have to get a checklist of things that should be in 4.3, draft a timeframe and motivate people (and himself) to contribute. The latter will be by far the hardest part, as we're all pressed for time.

I hope that this will make it a bit easier and less time consuming to be Dictator, because the `job' is only for the forseable future or with a specific goal in mind.

Thoughts? Candidates?
Peter Wang and Elias Pschernig are the first names that leap to my mind.

Evert