Re: [AD] 4.3 documenntation (was: Re: 4.3.0 progress)

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 18:15 +0200, Andrei Ellman wrote:
> Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> > What about documentation?
> > Do we provide a list of new functions?
>
> Just out of interest, has anyone considered switching from the
> proprietary ._tx documentation format to a self-documenting
> sourcecode-comments based form of documentation such as Doxygen?

Proprietary? Not in the least, _tx is just as free as the rest of
Allegro :)

Anyway, there was quite some discussion about documentation, from using
docbook as new source format, to doxygen like things. We even have a
complete DTD of a new docbook-like XML format designed, as well as Perl,
Python, C, Haskell and XSLT versions to parse it and produce output in
some formats. (All of which is rotting in the makedoc module :P)

Matthew Leverton announced a new online documentation system back then,
which ended most of the discussion and work on a makedoc replacement,
since everyone expected him to magically come up with a solution
superior to everything else :)

But yeah, right now, it seems 4.3 still uses the old _tx.. maybe using
something like doxygen indeed would be useful, even if another
documentation system is then used later. We already have code comments
for every function anyway, so why not use some tool to output them into
HTML code.

--
Elias Pschernig