Re: [AD] The Grabber and GUI in 4.3 (was: Re: 4.3.0 progress)

On Sunday 23 July 2006 2:25 pm, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 13:19 -0700, Chris wrote:
> > Why duplicate all the work? Just pick one useable GUI library and use
> > that. Qt4 is free for what we'd use it for, available on just about
> > anything Allegro will be, and, it's a very good GUI lib. I don't think
> > the fact that it's C++ should be a concern. This is 2006 after all, not
> > 1996. :P
>
> If DATAFILE is to be moved completely into the compatibility layer, and
> Allegro only has a VFS like Tomasu's (which then can be hooked to read
> from .dat or .zip or whatever by addons), then there's no reason at all
> to have a grabber with Allegro. And the old grabber will have to use the
> compatibility layer, since it needs to use DATAFILE.
>
> For the zip addon however it might be nice if it ships with a Qt4
> grabber, who would create .zip files.

There really is no need for a "Grabber" for zip files, just use your favorite
archiver. Though it is possible, as I had planned to include zip creation in
the vfs. Writing too, but it'll be like the old linux NTFS driver, you can
only do simple operations, unless you really want to incur some serious
overhead with having to copy around large chunks of a zip file when you
increase or decrease the size of a zip item by a few bytes ;)

> --
> Elias Pschernig

> your opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn
> cash

Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx