Re: [AD] Allegro unable to deal with non ascii filenames

> > On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 22:40 +0200, Michal Molhanec wrote:
> > > don't tell me that there is no way on Linux how to ask system
> > > which system encoding is used and/or to convert string from/to
> > > UTF-8 to the system encoding.

I could look into the python source to see how they get the encoding,
but AFAICS they do guessing, and glibc uses environment variables
to avoid guessing incorrectly.

On 2006-05-27, Chris <chris.kcat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For me, this is LANG="en_US.UTF-8" and passing UTF-8 data to the
> file functions seems to work just fine (filetest shows all the
> info properly, and ufile.c was changed to pass UTF-8 data instead
> of ASCII.

That's precisely the problem: I'm not using UTF-8, I'm using latin1,
and ufile.c is incorrectly escaping my 8-bit characters as utf8
escape sequences. That's only part of the problem. Even for you,
if you use utf8, pack_fopen will uconvert_toascii your filename,
making any character higher than 127 some odd caret symbol, which
makes pack_fopen fail with -1 ENOENT on non ascii filenames.