Re: [AD] Problem with key_shifts on Windows.

Andrei Ellman wrote:
aj wrote:

i know its a bit annoying, but can you modify /examples/exkeys.c to GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED and try the tests again, also GFX_AUTODETECT (fullscreen) and do the tests again..

I've run exkeys.exe with GFX_AUTODETECT changed to GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED , and also the original exkeys.exe (fullscreen). So far, I've only tested this on Windows 2000

I've now tried it on Windows 98. Here are the results.

OS: Windows 98 SE
Allegro: 4.2.0 compiled with MSVC 6 (built using the Direct X 8 SDK)
Direct X: 8.1 (4.08.01.0881)
Keyboard driver: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natrual PS/2 Keyboard
Keyboard properties: Language: En English (british)   Layout: British

exkeys keyboard driver: Driver: DirectInput keyboard

Fullscreen+Windowed: Like in Windows 2000, pressing CTRL, releasing CTRL and then pressing ESC does not register the press of the ESC key. Also like in Windows 2000, the indicator for CTRL remains unlit while the control key is stuck, but pressing a regular key un-sticks it. Also like in Windows 2000, pressing CTRL and ESC together bring up the startmenu and make the app lose focus.

Fullscreen+Windowed: ALT-GR behhaves normally.

Sometimes if I switch out using CTRL+ESC and switch back in again, the message "readkey() returned 15104 (0x3B00)" scrolls continuously. This happens in both Windowed and fullscreen modes.

Fullscreen: If I press ALT-TAB, the app switches out, but when I switch back in, sometimes, TAB is shown as continuously pressed and the message "readkey() returned 16384 (0x4000)" scrolls repeatedly. I've not managed to reproduce this in windowed mode.

BTW: Some info on my Windows 2000 setup I didn't include in my last mail...

Windows 2000: DirectX 9.0c (4.90.0000.0904)
Windows 2000: Allegro was built using the SDK for Direct X 8

Also, in both Windows98 and Windows2000, I created an EXE that uses the Allegro DLL (ie. not staticlinked).

I've also tried this under DOS.

Dos: (dos running under Win98)
Allegro: 4.2.0 compiled with DJGPP

Here are some findings:

exkeys keyboard driver: PC Keyboard (DOS)

ALT-GR behhaves normally.

The CTRL key does not get stuck, and pressing escape immediately after CTRL works fine.

CTRL-ESC, ALT-ESC and ALT-SPACE trapped by windows and cause app to switch out. Of those 3, only ALT-ESC causes a key to be stuck (the ALT key).

However, if I switch the DOS-app out and then switch back in (releasing the keys when switched out), the key-indicators on the right of the screen are not un-lit on the switch-in, but it appears that the program behaves as if the keys are not pressed (no continuously scrolling messages, and ESC behaves normally if the indicator for ALT is lit).

I also tried running the same DOS exe in DOS without windows. The results were the same as the DOS version, except that the CTRL-ESC, ALT-ESC and ALT-SPACE did not switch the app out (they behaved as expected and lit the correct indicators).

Anyway, I'll try and get round to trying the changes that Elias suggested.

AE.