Re: [AD] Corporate donation/sponsorship offer

On Sunday 21 May 2006 20:20, Matthew Leverton wrote:
> I think any donations should go directly toward purchasing
> hardware/software for a leading developer (to help support OS X, a
> license of Windows Vista, etc) or to fund contests.

Funding contests (or RL meetings?) might be a good option. I don't know
about support in buying hardware, but if someone can make a case that they
need something to work on Allegro, then I suppose that would ok too.
However, I'd in that case like some guarentee that they're actually going
to deliver...

> Paying someone
> with cash to work on Allegro could cause some jealously and actually
> backfire by causing people to quit in protest. (Personally, I don't
> care - but I'm sure not all share my attitude.) There are too many
> people who have put a lot of work on it, starting from Shawn himself,
> to fairly distribute $50.

Oh, there can be no question of handing any kind of money for work that
anyone has done so far to any single person. But we clearly can't split it
or we'd all get a cent or so.
What I think the money offer would look like is something like this:

Allegro needs Y. We offer X$ to anyone willing to implement this feature,
half the amount payable in advance and the other half upon delivery.

Depending on how demanding the feature is, we can ask that it be
implemented in a time frame of, say, three months, six months, a year...
Would that work?

Evert