Re: [AD] Problem with key_shifts on Windows.

I think its both an allegro and windows problem; to solve it for win2k will probably break winXP and vice-versa :( But it might just be an allegro issue..
perhaps some of this is relevant...

============ Changes from 4.2.0 RC1 to 4.2.0 RC2 (August 2005) ============
  Elias Pschernig patched the Windows keyboard driver to get key_shifts
  working again with KB_SHIFT_FLAG, KB_CTRL_FLAG, KB_ALT_FLAG on Win98.

============ Changes from 4.2.0 beta 2 to 4.2.0 beta 3 (May 2005) ============
Elias Pschernig restored Alt+key = ASCII code 0 behavior for the Windows keyboard driver

============ Changes from 4.2.0 beta 1 to 4.2.0 beta 2 (April 2005) ============
Elias Pschernig, Andrew Chew fixed and Tobi Vollebregt fixed several
problems with the Windows keyboard driver.

Victor wrote:
I runned exkeys in fullscreen.

In Control Panel/Keyboard:
"Standard 101/102-Key ou Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard"

In Control Panel/System:
"Microsoft Windows 2000
5.00.2195
Service Pack 4"

gcc -v says:
"blah blah blah...
gcc version 3.4.2 (mingw-special)"

I'm using Allegro 4.2.0 release version (i will test a 4.3 SVN later).

Some minutes ago, I changed the "GFX_AUTODETECT" to
"GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED" in exkeys.c and recompiled it. When i runned
in windowed mode the problem still was there, nothing changed.

Surely this is a bug inside allegro or inside some Windows API.

PS: Back to 2001, i was programming in VB on those days. I've got some
weird behavior with alt and control keys, but i can't remember exactly
what. Maybe something wrong inside Windows API or Windows keyb drivers.

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva

--- aj <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

victor,

which OS, allegro version, compiler, etc.. ? fullscreen or windowed and the driver (as listed on the top of exkeys when you run it) ? keyb driver.. in device manager, under Keyboards.. mine says "Standard 101/102-Key or MS Natural PS/2 Keyb" ? in accessability options (control panel), keyb tab.. are any of those ticked ?

i tried  /examples/exkeys  in fullscreen mode (DirectInput driver) on

WinXPsp1   msvc7 built...
and my standard 101 keyb's  Alt-GR  did NOT  show any control key
weirdness.

Victor wrote:
I confirmed that. In exkeys, when i pressed the ALT GR key, the
Left
control got a keypress too. This could stuck the Esc key too.
I'm in Windows 2000 with a ABNT2 brazilian keyboard.

--- Andrei Ellman <ae-a-alleg@xxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

aj wrote:
 > can these problems be demonstrated/or not  in the
/examples/exkeys.exe ?

I just tried exkeys.exe (only under Windows 2000) and at first,
the
problem does not appear. However, on closer inspection of the
code,
the bit where it tests the key_shifts variable is immediately preceded
by
a ureadkey(NULL); I tried adding readkey(NULL) to my example
program,
and although it now stops and waits for a regular key (letter,
number, etc) to be pressed before reading key_shifts, when I press a
regular
key, the key_shifts variable is updated with the correct state of
the
shift-keys. From this, I conclude that the windows version only
updates key_shifts when a regular key is pressed, but the DOS version
keeps
key_shifts in sync with the state of the keyboard. If exkeys.exe
had
a portion where it just displayed the key_shifts variable without waiting for readkey(), then the problem will be demonstrated.

A manifestation of the problem where ESC does not work when the CTRL/ALT keys are 'stuck' in exkeys.exe is where I cannot press
ESC
to continue unless I press some other key first.

Also, in exkeys, when I press ALT-GR, in the table of keys on the
right of the screen, it says I've pressed both ALT-GR and CTRL when I've not pressed CTRL. If CTRL is held down, the values for both ALT-GR and CTRL are correct. However, if I hold down RCONTROL when I'm holding
down
ALT-GR, then the indicator for CTRL becomes un-set, although if
I'm
holding down all 3 keys at once, the indicators are at their
correct
values. None of this happens with the regular ALT key.

I have a UK keyboard. According to the Windows Input-locales
section
of the regional options applet, the input-language is "English
(United
Kingdom)", and the Keyboard layout / IME is "United Kingdom".

BTW. I added the following lines inside the main loop of my test
program

	if(keyboard_needs_poll())
	{
		poll_keyboard();
	}

and the results are still the same - even if I get rid of the if
and
just call poll_keyboard()

AE.

security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your
job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache
Geronimo

_______________________________________________________ Abra sua conta no Yahoo! Mail: 1GB de espaço, alertas de e-mail no
celular e anti-spam realmente eficaz.
http://br.info.mail.yahoo.com/