Re: [AD] Too old allegro for Windows platform !

On Saturday 29 April 2006 08:41, Michal Molhanec wrote:
> Miguel A. Gavidia napsal(a):
> > Perhaps this is true of the drivers written for a specific system. But as
> > far as allegro in whole, I would say no.
> > You can also see this in the FAQ:
> >
> > [quote]
> >
> > Will you ever add support for 3D accelerator hardware?
> >

> >  No. This sort of hardware support would be most useful as part of a
> > proper 3D API, which Allegro is not, and will never be. If you want to do
> > some work on this, the MESA library (a free implementation of OpenGL) is
> > IMHO the place to start.
> >  However, if you are interested in using OpenGL for graphics and Allegro
> > for everything else, you can try the various add-ons libraries linked
> > from http://www.allegro.cc/ such as AllegroGL.
> > [/quote]
>
> This question is specific to Allegro 3D functions which aren't
> accelerated. It has nothing to do with rest of the Allegro. Things like
> blit are accelerated (if the platform supports it). Take a look at
> gfx_capabilities documentation for list of what accelerations Allegro
> supports:
> http://alleg.sourceforge.net/onlinedocs/en/alleg008.html#gfx_capabilities
> Other than that it also it supports DirectSound mixer (although for some
> reason is not the default).
>
> --
> Regards,
>      Michal
>
> ICQ# 175762750

> easier Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache
> Geronimo

Ok that's only if the platform supports it which I don't debate. Maybe I just
misread the OP's post, I was under the assumption he wants acceleration or
speed comparable to using other 3D api's directly, such as directx or opengl
in this matter, specifically:

[quote]
I don't want use DirectX for programming if is others solution more easy and
faster to do the same job.
Maybe use OpenGL because they have a good reputation.
[/quote]

Then again he didn't really specify what kind of applications he's intending
to use the lib for, only vague references to examples from some book.
Thus my assumptions on 3D related acceleration.
*shrug

--
-juvinious