Re: [AD] PNG reading

On Saturday 01 April 2006 13:48, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 22:54 +0200, Michal Molhanec wrote:
> >    Hello,
> > about recent discussion about PNG. I have written my own PNG loader
> > which does not depend on libpng nor zlib and if there would be
> > interested I can release it under Allegro licence. It's available at
> > http://molhanec.net/alpng09.zip . However note that it's just loading
> > not saving and it's not as fast and well tested as libpng of course (the
> > code is fresh).
>
> Nice. May I ask what was the motivation for it? I guess it was like with
> jpgalleg, just because it's cool to write a decoder of a format
> yourself :)
>
> So, well, this increases the number of choices in case we include
> configurable support for multiple image formats in 4.3, there's now a
> choice of libpng (over loadpng) and libjpg (would need a loadpng like
> wrapper), or instead using jpgalleg, and your new alpng.

What would be the difference between using this code and using the official
libpng/zlib source? Both libpng and zlib are under a license that'd allow
them to be put into Allegro without modifying Allegro's license. AFAIK, the
only issue is to whether build it into the lib (and remove any chance of
automatic dll/so upgrades), or keep it as an external dll/so (and make it
reliant on them being in the system). Since zlib has other uses, it'd be
preferable to make users have that. I wouldn't doubt most users have libpng
too, anyway.