Re: [AD] Using SourceForge's SVN repository

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 19:03 +0200, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> Elias asked to use SVN instead of CVS for the web. Could do.
>
> How does this go along with BAF's aim of SVN world domination? SF
> allows to import the current CVS repo or any other uploaded .tar.gz,
> which means the current SVN work wouldn't be lost if moved there.
> Do you want to keep with the current setup or you have plans to
> migrate to SF some day?
>
> I ask this to know what kind of SVN import should I do, just the web
> module or maybe everything? The difference from SVN to CVS is that

Just the allegrowww would be best, since everything else is on bafserv.

> in CVS the modules are kind of separated and have their own history,
> don't they? Maybe merging them later would be a pain. OTOH, web
> history isn't that valuable, nobody will cry over it if we lose it.
>
> For those interested, SF's SVN seems to work ok, with advertisements
> included in each commit message and so.
>
> Hmmm... SVN might just be an excellent replacement to the crappy
> binary file mirror thingy I wrote... tasty.

For AllegroGL, I downloaded the CVS tarball, then used cvs2svn with the
option to extract just a single module (allegrogl), then I created an
svndump out of that. This was the only tricky bit.

After that, I imported the svndump to SF. It worked great, the SVN
import itself took them only 5 minutes to process. No history or
anything was lost.

SF's default convert may not be a good idea, since it will make a tree
like this:

tags/tag1/allegrowww
tags/tag2/allegrowww

instead of this (as you get by manually calling cvs2svn with right
options):

allegrowww/tags/tag1
allegrowww/tags/tag2

I can do the move of the allegrowww module from CVS to SVN in that way..

--
Elias Pschernig