Re: [AD] get volume

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 09:49 +1100, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2006-03-18, Milan Mimica <milan.mimica@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Chris wrote:
> > >
> > >I'm almost positive it was.. at the very least they have name and desc
> > >fields which you can use to get the name and description of the used
> > >drivers. The setup program I'm quite sure does, or at least used to. I've
> > >always gone under the assumption that these were available for use (I
> > >mean, there's no need for name and description fields internally,
> > >especially next to the unique 4-byte id field, and there's no other way to
> > >get them).
> >
> > These are at the beginning of vtable so it shouldn't be a problem I guess.
>
> Changing the DIGI_DRIVER and MIDI_DRIVER vtables are a bit of a problem
> because some drivers are built as modules, so now 4.2.0 modules will
> probably crash with 4.2.1.

Ah, didn't think of modules. Well, in how far is ABI compatibility
important for modules? I mean, if someone has a 4.0 game, then upgrades
to the 4.2 lib - can't we assume that modules also are upgraded to 4.2?

But yes, after this commit, if you keep the 4.0 modules, it will
crash :/

> Another problem is if somebody actually wrote a 3rd party driver module
> and distributed it as a binary only, then we would have broken
> compatibility.  But I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Yeah. Hm, I really hope, no 3rd party driver, or even addon who accesses
the drivers directly, exists. Else I guess I will feel the wrath of
angry users after 4.2.1 is out. Hm, well, if anyone says we shouldn't do
it, I'll revert the patch.. even though I really think those two
functions should be in the API.

> Maybe we should start installing modules in /usr/lib/allegro/4.2.x
> instead of /usr/lib/allegro/4.2 ?

Hm, yes, if we keep the patch for 4.2.1, we should do that. So the 4.2.1
lib looks for modules in /usr/lib/allegro/4.2.1/ - and won't crash if
there's 4.2.0 modules in /usr/lib/allegro/4.2.

--
Elias Pschernig