RE: [AD] Changes to aWiki

> AL_DISPLAY is a render target, i.e. anything you can draw to, be it
> "screen", part of a flipping chain, OpenGL, a texture, whatever.
>
> An AL_BITMAP would just be a representation of a 2D area of pixels.
You
> could not read from it or write to it - you only could "blit" it as a
> whole or partly (and maybe use as texture/pattern, in case we will
have
> such an API). Most (or all?) AL_BITMAP could be used as AL_DISPLAY
> though, if you need direct access to them (the
al_select_display_bitmap
> function would be used for making a bitmap the current display).

I disagree. AL_DISPLAY and AL_BITMAP should have identical graphics
capabilities (or we couldn't update a large portion of existing Allegro
games to use the new API).

> I must admit though, my motivation for proposing such a simplified API
> is, I could never understand the read_line/write_line or whatever
things
> in the current API, nor do I really grasp the "Direct Access" API in
> Bob's proposal.

Frankly, I don't like direct bitmap access. It was thrown in the new API
mainly because of the need to support programs that would want to use
direct bitmap access - like some of the examples do.