Re: [AD] translucent fonts

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 04:41 -0700, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On Thursday 05 January 2006 04:50, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > Maybe the attached patch is interesting, it allows to do something like
> > in this screenshot:
> >
> > http://allefant.sourceforge.net/allegro/translucent.png
>
> I really like this. Allong with what Evert said, won't this make the rendering
> even slower? Especially on video bitmaps? It really looks nice, but can we
> see some "Useless Benchmarks"®?

Of course it will be slower, it uses draw_trans_sprite instead of
masked_blit to draw the glyphs (so according to the test program, i get
only 42000 instead of 56000 blits / second).

But then, I'll really be using this with colored AllegroGL
texture-fonts, and there it will have the same speed, just look much
better. For black fonts like in the screenshot, AllegroGL already can do
anti-aliasing with grayscale fonts and the right OpenGL blending mode,
but I couldn't figure anything out for truecolor fonts - so that's why I
made this patch :)

--
Elias Pschernig