Re: [AD] Build overhaul (redux)

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 15:28 -0800, Robert Ohannessian wrote:
> I have a feature request for the new build system (if that ever
> materialize): Can we make it trivial to build Allegro add-ons using
> it?
>
> Right now, every add-on has its own makefiles, which are almost
> certainly broken in some shape or form (don't run under some versions
> of make, some OSes, etc). It would be nice if add-ons can just reuse
> the build system *and* environment from Allegro.
>
> That is, I want my makefile to look something like:
>
> alleggl.lib:
>
>                 $ALLEGRO_PATH/do_build CONFIG=./alleggl.config
>
> I want to automagically inherit all the bug fixes, environment
> workarounds and new features that Allegro gets as it evolves, without
> having to copy around files or reinvent everything myself.

Would it be a good idea to move AllegroGL over to the new SVN repository
as a first step? That would not initially do anything of the above, but
it would mean, someone updating those things would be more likely to
also commit the change to AllegroGL.

Also, if we actually move stuff like creating the al_create_display
window with an opengl context if requested by a flag, we'll have to do
some sort of integration anyway. I guess, best would be to move it over
as two separate branches, one allegrogl to stay compatible with the 4.2
allegro branch, and one to stay compatible with the 4.3 branch.

--
Elias Pschernig