Re: [AD] Proposing patch in windows detection

Peter Wang wrote:

On 2005-11-26, Victor <vwss1984@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would like to see more comments about that. So people, what do you
think about this?

What is the point of detecting the Windows versions?

For programming purposes, it tells you which win32::functions are supported.

If we didn't check which version is running, and make code that runs on all systems, we would still be targeting win95.

It also allows you to better guess the minimum platform for such things as DirectX version... which is another nightmare to obtain.

Peter