RE: [AD] fbcon directcolor modes patch, and possible other patches

> Not requesting a resolution change was already implemented
> as GFX_SAFE for fbdev (remember that by default Allegro is 8bit
> palette mode, the color depth has to be changed). The only thing
> missing was making the global screen contain what the screen had
> (which I guess is what you made?).

It doesn't "change" to graphics mode, in fact. It effectively
maps the fb memory, and builds an Allegro BITMAP off it. It's a
bit of a bastard thing. An example of the "not being a graphics
mode" is that switching will restore the text settings, as the
system doesn't know there are supposed to be graphics there to
restore. See the forking example for what can be done then.

So, yes, I guess it's similar to GFX_SAFE in a way, except that
GFX_SAFE would always use a windowed mode in windowed environments
and not overlay.