Re: [AD] Allegro 4.3 file location API

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 22:33 +0000, Peter Hull wrote:
> I added some thoughts about a file location API to the wiki:
> http://awiki.tomasu.org/bin/view/Main/FileSystems
>
> Here's what I wrote:
>
> Different platforms store files in different places, so paths can't be
> hardcoded. I propose a simple API like this:
> enum FILE_LOCATION
> {
>          SYSTEM_SETTINGS,
>          APP_RESOURCES,
>          USER_SETTINGS
> };

I would name them:

ALLEGRO_PATH,
SHARED_PATH,
USER_PATH

Else you assume that all settings are per-user, and all resources are
shared. But a game could look like this:

/usr/games/mygame/settings/mygame.cfg
/usr/games/mygame/data/mygame.data

$(HOME)/.mygame/settings/mygame.cfg
$(HOME)/.mygame/data/mygame.data

And I would first read the shared settings, and load the shared data,
then additionally load the local settings (overriding shared ones), and
then load the local data (e.g. addons/mods).

--
Elias Pschernig