Re: [AD] Focusing on priorities and the philosophy behind our constributions (was: malloc)

(Good old gradha. This is so much fun!)

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:

For some reason I consider anything done for free is a waste of
time. But there are still people with funny ideas, I see..

It would be waste of time if it was not rewarded in any way. Being it money, thank-you letters, hits on Google or just good feeling. Or it may be just a form of "paying back" for something free you used.

In this view digging a 20 metres deep hole in the backyard is not waste of time too. It is just a small exercise.

Stepan Roh, why do you keep lurking and providing your web page with different versions, source browser and other stuff?
Stepan, you have a fetish for keeping things around like a store manager?

Those are interesting questions. I don't use Allegro any more. Mainly because I stopped programming in C a long time ago. But also because I don't have an idea for what I should use it (I no longer attempt to make games). But when I used it and from time to time sent a patch or two I needed source browser - it was just an obvious step to open it for everyone.

I would stop source browser and old versions if it took too much of my time or my resources, but it is very automated process, there is a plenty of free storage space and I don't even saturate my available internet connection. Note that I stopped providing packages for Slackware, because it consumed too much of my time.

As for why I am still lurking here. Well this will get too sentimental, but Allegro was my very first OSS project I contributed to. And that was almost eight years ago and it is like watching your baby grow. Or niece, 'cause I am no father. Of course if it looks like dying I'll be first to jump out the boat :-)

Geez, I spent on writing this mail more time than on any other Allegro-related activity I did this month.

*Hug*

Oh, and I do have a fetish for keeping things around...

Have a nice day.

Stepan Roh