Re: [AD] Subversion

On Tuesday, November 1, 2005, at 01:26  am, Peter Wang wrote:

I would really like to migrate to Subversion ASAP, after 4.2.0 is out.

Sounds good, I think we could get ourselves onto the beta programme by giving these reasons to SF.net:
Allegro is an active project
It has a substantial code-base but is not massive.
Its developers are using several different platforms
It's due for reorganisation which (moving and renaming), as I understand it, is the key advantage of SVN over CVS.
It's not exactly mission-critical to anyone

My only worry is the tools that we have. At the moment I use Emacs and ProjectBuilder for editing, both of which have good CVS integration. What's the situation with Subversion? It's hardly bleeding-edge but it does not seem to be as well supported. WIndows folks seem to like Tortoise CVS and Win CVS; is there an equivalent?

Regarding the 4.2.x branch, I would suggest keeping it on CVS for continuity and safety. When Subversion is freely available on SF.net, and assuming we like it, we can migrate at that point. There will be enough to worry about (even writing new code!!!) without trying to maintain 2 trees on a beta VC system.

Pete