Re: [AD] 4.2.0 release demo

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 22:59 +0200, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> As we're supposed to have this new demo for 4.2.0 and don't want to hold up
> the release for it and I probably won't have time to get it in shape in
> time, does anyone else think it's good form to remove the old demo from
> the 4.2.0 release?

I do.. demo.dat already was separate for WIP versions (I think), and I
think it makes sense to have the complete demo as a separate download. A
first step to modularization at the beginning of the new api version :)

It also could be used to better demonstrate how to link against Allegro
in a platform independent manner, since instead of the ugly hacks to get
the current demo to compile out of the monolitic makefile, it would then
have to do it in a way thatS' re-useable by users.

And, that way, we also could simply keep both demos around, since they
show different things. The old one concentrates on saving performance,
e.g. dirty rectangles, and using sprites for everything. The new one
shows Allegro's capabilities as a software polygon renderer - naturally
being quite performance hungry though. For after 4.2.0, it probably will
be a good test case how much speed up the OpenGL driver can give.

--
Elias Pschernig