Re: [AD] Re: file_select_ex patch

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 15:40 -0700, Chris wrote:
> For the time being, here's a patch that simply restores the path when Cnacel

Committed. About changing the meaning of the flags, your code really is
cleaner, but after having looked at / with our patch and -r, I really
think very confusing for end users. This is not for_each_file, but a
(per definition as high level as you can get) file selector.

> is clicked, and makes selecting a directory and clicking Ok return TRUE (why
> would Ok'ing a dir return FALSE, anyway?)

Yes, that makes no sense. Returning the directory also would make no
sense though.. so I guess it should either be ignored, or open the
directory (like e.g. in GTK).

I completely agree that the current file selector is flawed, but
changing the meaning of flags like you proposed, or allowing to return
directories, won't make it any better.

Things I think would be a real improvement:
- Add a mode where you can select directories instead of files
- Separate navigation from file selection.

In both cases, it would also alter the meaning of the flags. Ideas how
it could be done can be found in the Qt, GTK and Wx file selectors, all
do it in a more logical way than we.. but I don't think it's something
very important.

--
Elias Pschernig