Re: [AD] 4.2 final cleanup

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 23:46 +0200, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> We need to get some momentum going again, and nothing like a deadline
> (mostly for myself) to get things going.
> As Peter (Wang) said a while back, we should really put 4.2.0 release out -
> it's mostly stable enough and there'll always be 4.2.1 anyway.
> The new demo is something that needs to be cleaned up and integrated, but I
> don't see that I'll have much time to do that for the next couple of weeks
> and I don't think it should hold back the release that long. So as was
> already proposed, we can integrate it thereafter.
>
> There is one thing, or rather two things, that I think may be important.
> Both have to do with bugs Thomas Harte reported under MacOS X: one having
> to do with detection of gamepads, one having to do with 8 bit colour
> modes. I think Peter (Hull) had a fix for the first one, but I don't know
> about the second one. Do we want to have these fixed before release? Or do
> we note them down as `known issues' and push the fix into 4.2.1?
>
> Then there's the problem with sound in Windows, reported here,
> http://www.allegro.cc/forums/view_thread.php?_id=528985. I'm not sure how
> to test and fix that. Ideas?

It sounds quite bad. random freezes with WOA, crash with DXA, no sound
with AXA. Assuming all 3 drivers work on a standard windows
installation, I'd just hope the relevant system's sound driver is quite
messed up.

> These issues aside, is next weekend a reasonable deadline? I won't be able
> to make it before then (well, I could manage this weekend, but that's very
> short notice) and I'll be absent the first week of october. October 4th
> would otherwise be a nice historic date.

I think it's reasonable. We already must be the lib with the longest
timespan between first RC and release :)

--
Elias Pschernig