Re: [AD] NT4 & DX3 (fwd)

Ok, seems that the main benefit would be the ability of Allegro users to
acces more fancy DirectX stuff if they wanted to.
I wouldn't personally mind including this, with the default set to the
current value, and documenting how someone can override the DirectX
version Allegro uses (in which case they should also static link).
Thoughts?

Evert

At 25-09-2005 23:00, Inphernic wrote:

> Something like that occured to me, but I would have done it slightly
> differently myself: I'd have #defined someDirectXfunctionVersionN to
> either N=2 or N=7, whichever we wanted, and then called
> someDirectXfunctionVersionN rather than someDirectXfunctionVersion2 or
> someDirectXfunctionVersion7.
> In most (all?) cases this is the only real change, isn't it?

    Yes, that would have been better. The changes are mostly just function
names, with some structures (DDSCAPS vs DDSCAPS2) to spice things up. I
can do these changes right now, but how do you think the structures should
be named? I was thinking of something like this (adding the AL_-prefix):

    #if DIRECTDRAW_VERSION <= 0x0600
    #define AL_DDSCAPS DDSCAPS
    #else
    #define AL_DDSCAPS DDSCAPS2
    #endif

> What are specifically the benefits of calling the new version instead of
> the old one? Are they really different except for the name? Or is the
> only net difference the requirement of a more recent version of
> DirectX? ;)

    Direct benefits (for a normal user)? None that I can think of. The new
functions work just like the old ones, save maybe for setting some extra
flags in the newer structures. The exposed interface could be useful for
someone/some purposes (the reason I did this in the first place was that I
could access one DX7 function). Maybe in further development as well. :)